Finishing Week 3 of Dallas Training

I completed week 3 of marathon training with my motivation still high, and yesterday I started week four with energy and excitement. Considering how I felt over the weekend, I’m looking forward to some energy.

I hit a rough patch on Saturday due to circumstances beyond my control and stupid mistakes. The first problem, I’ll blame on my children. It’s part of being a mom, and the pains of having a child in high school. Now, I will not deny my child participation in something because it will infringe on my sleep, but I might complain about it a bit.

I’ve been a homebody on Friday nights since I started running, but for the next few months, Friday night football will take its toll on my shut-eye. My daughter is in the band, which means someone will need to pick her up at the school after away  games. My husband started a new job this past week, so his hours were all over the place. Being the martyr compassionate wife, I volunteered to pick her up. 

The bus came in at 1:30 a.m., and my stomach was growling. When we got home, I popped some pancakes in the microwave and ate them dry. I was in bed by 2 a.m. Mistake number 1.

My alarm went off at 5, so I headed to the kitchen for my banana. I usually try to eat at least two hours before a long run, and the local running group was meeting at 7. On a whim, I decided to make a cup of hot tea to wake me up. Mistake number 2.

I felt run-down, but I didn’t want to miss a group run. It makes the long run go by so much faster, and keeps my weekly training on my own from becoming stagnant. Plus, the temperature was in the 60s with a nice breeze. After training through Texas summer heat, I wasn’t about to pass up a long run on the coolest morning in months.

So I ran. It was the worst I have felt on a long run. My stomach was cramping – from the tea or the pancakes, I don’t know. I put a lot of energy into just keeping up with a few of the group members. I was planning how to make a graceful exit if I got sick.

When I finished my eleven miler, I looked at my time and pace. A quick calculation showed me if I did that twice, and added four miles, my time wouldn’t be that far off from my first marathon time. That made me feel better. It also increased my confidence knowing that I could power through the run feeling awful.

Saturday was another late night spending time with friends, so instead of my usual cross-training on Sunday, I took an extra rest day. I needed it.

As a result, I woke up Monday morning refreshed and ready to run.


What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s