It has been just over a year since I published my first post here, and I am still as passionate (if not more so) about running as I was a year ago. My dad – the inspiration for my blog – is still running as well. My brother is a runner too, and I enjoy having others around to join in “runner talk” at family get-togethers. How family conversations have changed in the past two years!
I’ve changed a lot in the past two years, too. This past weekend, I was using my Garmin software on the computer. I moved my 2012 workouts to a folder, and I was able to see at a glance how much progress I’ve made as a runner. I still haven’t learned all the little functions, but to see the incremental increase in mileage, with the decrease in pace was motivating. I also started thinking about what else has changed with me as a result.
Five years ago if you had told me I was doing the following, I would have asked you if you were nuts:
1. You will regularly get up at 5 am on Saturdays, to go run for 2-3 hours.
2. You will get to have pancakes, chocolate milk, bagels, and eggs on a regular basis.
3. You will finally be content with your clothing size, but will wear baggy clothes because you want to spend all your extra money on race fees, running shoes, and gear.
4. Strange new grocery items will find their way into your home: black beans, sweet potatoes, whole grain bread.
5. You will make new friends that help you feel a little less crazy about 5:30 am runs and 26.2 mile races.
6. All this will be fun, and you’ll wonder why you didn’t discover it sooner.
What surprising changes has running brought to your life?